Wednesday, January 26, 2011

To the Moon and back (and beyond)

Through books, we can go anywhere, do anything, be whoever we want to be. We explore new worlds, travel to exotic places, and step away from our normal/average/unexciting lives.

So, where has your own book taken you? Are you building a new world, delving into the secrets of history, or branching out of 'normal life' one step at a time. In Outta the Bag, my debut and as-of-yet unpublished manuscript, my heroine Kat Wake is peer-pressured into taking a leap of faith...literally. She, Nick, and Tate (I haven't introduced any of these main and most-loved characters, but I promise it's coming) go skydiving.

Thing is, I didn't know much about skydiving, so I did it. Yes, you read that right. I, the biggest wuss ever, jumped out of a plane, and words can't describe how it felt. But that's not true at all, because the week after my jump, I pulled out my rough draft and rewrote the skydiving scene. It's now one of my favorites!

I'm thinking book three will be set in Brazil...maybe I should start saving now. :)

Where has your book taken you? Did you step out of your comfort zone to get a scene just right? Tell us about it.

-Marie

No comments: