Monday, April 18, 2011

Overly Ominous Music, but a Must-See. Source Code in 100 Words

Tap tap tap.

Housekeeping. You want me fluff your pillow?

Uh, wait. Different kind of housekeeping. Before I review Source Code, here are some reminders.

YAtopia's having a Pitch Contest with Agent Natalie Fischer. Check it out. Also,  Erinn, Holly, Pam, Quita, and Alicia are hosting a Query Help blogfest tomorrow, so don't miss it. Crits for Water is going strong. There are special auctions and random crit drawings from authors and agents happening all the time. And the Now Starring Blogfest is right around the corner. :) I think that's it.

No! WAIT! I somehow have an extra copy of HP and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 on Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital with all the extras, and I'm giving it away this week! More info tomorrow, I promise. 

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

I watched Jake Gyllenhaal's Source Code on Saturday, and once again, I have to humbly admit my preview-induced impressions were wrongwrongwrong. Here's my one hundred word review. Enjoy!


The Source Code is an in-development, government project that lets one mind experience the eight minutes before another’s death. Colter Stevens (Gyllenhaal) tries to stop a terrorist's plot to wipe Chicago off the map. He goes in, train blows up. Again and again. But it’s not as Groundhog Day as it sounds. The opening score was too dark and thrill-a-minute for the sweeping landscapes and peaceful Chicago skyline (think Shutter Island), but touching moments outweighed the doom-and-gloom. Gyllenhaal’s baby blues and phenomenal acting won my heart. Tragic, yet hopeful. Don’t let the previews fool you. This was an excellent movie!


That's it! Water for Elephants comes out Friday, and I'm M.C. Hammering around my house in excitement. Won't you join me? :)

-Marie

7 comments:

Stina said...

I'm hoping there's some great contests when it comes time to querying my WIP (which won't really be a WIP then). I'd create one, but then I can't enter. ;)

Thanks for the great links!

Jenny said...

Stopping by via A to Z.

I wasn't quite sure what to think of the movie based on the previews, but now I'll put it on my list.

Good luck with the challenge!

Unknown said...

It sounds like a great movie! I'll put it on my list.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Previews don't give away the real plot at all! And I still want to see Rio.

M.J. Fifield said...

I really have heard great things about Source Code.

Enjoy Water For Elephants. I'm interested in seeing it but I'll probably wait until it comes out on DVD.

Morph Waffle said...

I want to see that movie and your review makes me want to see it more now!

Carrie said...

Sounds like a great movie! Thanks for the review.