Friday, September 2, 2011

Calling all Reader-friends! Help!

Many of you are beyond 'well-read' in the lovely land of YA, so I'm asking...no, begging, for comparable titles to my current project.

My story is about seventeen year old Katherine Wake who's been chosen to stop a war between the rulers of the Crossroads (the afterlife). Kat dies in the first chapter, but returns to life to complete a task from the afterlife's gatekeeper. While this is a secondary conflict to the romance between Kat and Tate, the dead guy who's been watching over her for several years and who doesn't initially have a physical body, I need recent paranormal YA books that focus on life after death, but don't deal with fairies/vampires/werewolves/etc., to add to my TBR list so when I start drafting a query, I can include comparable titles.

Oh, did I mention when Tate gets a body, it's the body of a girl in Kat's class? And, umm, the setting is in the heart of the Bible Belt, so the whole girl-loves-a-girl thing doesn't really fly? Yeah...

Haaaave you met Conflict? ;)

Okay, long story short (too late!), if you can think of any comparable YA titles after reading the spiel above, please post them in the comments. I just finished IF I STAY by Gayle Forman, and while the whole making-a-choice-to-come-back-to-life is part of my story, it's only about the first thirty pages. Any help would be wonderful. I love you, my follower-darlings!

Tap tap tap. Housekeeping. You need towels?

Yes, housekeeping. With the approaching Labor Day holiday, my posting for next week will be Wednesday and Friday only. I hope everyone enjoys the last holiday in summer. Soak up the sun and warmth, wear flip-flops, eat potato salad and baked beans, and don't be afraid to wear white year-round. :)

-Marie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about Evermore by Alyson Noel? It's been a while since I read it, but I'm pretty sure the main character survives a car accident which kills her sister. Her sister is a funny ghost who now haunts her.

Golden Eagle said...

Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin and In A Hearbeat by Loretta Ellsworth both take place in an afterlife world; and in Elsewhere, there is some romance, too.

Hope that helps! :)