Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A New Set of Eyes

I miss my manuscript.


I've had three writer-friends read it, and the feedback was, umm, consistent. Tighten, tighten, tighten. Revamp the first thirty (fifty) pages. Get to the action SOONER. Where I tried to build intrigue, I created a horrifying frustration monster. Where I thought something was cute and funny, my beta readers wanted to murder me. I want to dig into my MS and rip it to shreds!

HOWEVER...

I told myself I wouldn't touch it until September. As much as I itch for it, I won't. I won't! Because I think looking at it with a new set of eyes, a fresh set of eyes, will be magical for it and for me (and hopefully for my lovely critters. Thanks, ladies!!!!).

So, I need help! How do you keep yourself away from a manuscript in need of a good revision? Is it a struggle? Do you dream about it? :)

-Marie

4 comments:

Golden Eagle said...

I usually try writing something else or generating new ideas for possible future projects. I also find writing short-stories/flash fiction can help keep my mind on something other than the waiting MS.

Andrew Leon said...

Read a lot.
best thing to do while not writing. Spend it reading instead.

Tonya Kuper said...

I read & catch up on movies!

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

I envy your patience.
If I leave it because I want, I'm ok.
BUT if I must leave it for a while (before a rewrite) it is all I can think about.